The Asian Journal of Applied Linguistics will be publishing a special issue titled English as a Lingua Franca in Institutions of Higher Education in Asia. English as a Lingua Franca (ELF) is interpreted as pertaining to inter-institutional communication, as well as communication necessary for participation in global academic, professional, and social partnerships.
Some possible topics for journal articles include the following:
- the teaching, learning or use of English to facilitate academic communication within or between institutions or with the wider academic community
- the use of English for intercultural exchanges
- the use of English for administrative purposes within the institution
- the use of English to promote inclusivity
- the status of English within higher education in Asia
- the attitudes of students/teachers/administrators to the use of English
- contextual influences on the use of English within or between institutions
- the relationship between the use of English and internationalisation
The issue is expected to be published in March 2014, and the deadline for submission is 31 December 2013.