PhD in Education
I completed my doctoral studies at the University of Manchester, UK. The title of my thesis is A complex systems perspective on English Language Teaching: a case study of a language school in Greece. My research was supervised by Juup Stelma, Julian Edge (to September 2011) and Susan Brown (from October 2011 onwards).
- Data Generation; Qualitative Methods (Grade A)
- Introduction to Quantitative Methods (Grade A)
- Quantitative Methods and Analysis (Grade A)
- Qualitative Data Analysis (Grade A)
- Critical Reading and Writing (Grade A)
- Planning of Research (Grade A)
The research component of my doctoral studies culminated in the submission of my thesis, entitled A complex systems perspective on English Language Teaching: A case study of a language school in Greece, which is vailable online through EThOS and eScholar. The thesis was successfully defended on 18 November 2014, and – in the words of the external examiner, Prof. Adrian Holliday “indicates ground breaking research”
MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
I completed an MA TESOL at the University of Manchester, UK. The programme, from which I graduated with distinction-level grades, consisted of six taught research components (modules) focusing on diverse aspects of English Language Teaching, and an empirical dissertation.
- Psychology of Language Learning (Grade A)
- Approaches, Methods and Techniques in Language Teaching (Grade A)
- Course Design for Language Teachers (Grade A)
- Assessment in Language Learning (Grade A)
- The Education of Language Teachers (Grade B)
- Developing Researcher Competence (Grade A)
Dynamics impacting ELT learning materials in the Greek context: A complexity perspective (Grade A)
Ptychion in English Language & Literature
I completed my undergraduate studies at the University of Athens Department of English Language and Literature, where I was awarded an undergraduate qualification (ptychion). This is four-year academic qualification roughly equivalent to a BA, which also doubles as a teaching qualification. During my studies in Athens I majored in Language and Linguistics, attaining a grade of 7.64 out of 10 (roughly 2:1 by British standards).
Image: The Whitworth Building by Mike Peel | CC BY-SA