PhD in Education (TESOL)
I completed my doctoral studies at the University of Manchester, UK. My thesis was entitled A complex systems perspective on English Language Teaching: A case study of a language school in Greece. My research was supervised by Juup Stelma, Julian Edge (to September 2011), and Susan Brown (from October 2011 onwards).
My studies included assessed coursework in research methods, as follows:
- Data Generation; Qualitative Methods (Grade A)
- Introduction to Quantitative Methods (Grade A)
- Quantitative Methods and Analysis (Grade A)
- Qualitative Data Analysis (Grade A)
- Critical Reading and Writing (Grade A)
- Planning of Research (Grade A)
The research component of my doctoral studies culminated in the submission of my thesis, which is available online through EThOS and eScholar. The thesis was successfully defended on 18 November 2014, and, in the words of the external examiner, Prof. Adrian Holliday “indicates ground breaking research”.
MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
In 2007, I completed an MA TESOL at the University of Manchester, UK. The programme, from which I graduated with distinction-level grades, consisted of six taught research components (modules) focusing on diverse aspects of English Language Teaching, and an empirical dissertation.
- Psychology of Language Learning (Grade A)
- Approaches, Methods and Techniques in Language Teaching (Grade A)
- Course Design for Language Teachers (Grade A)
- Assessment in Language Learning (Grade A)
- The Education of Language Teachers (Grade B)
- Developing Researcher Competence (Grade A)
Dynamics impacting ELT learning materials in the Greek context: A complexity perspective (Grade A)
Ptychion in English Language & Literature
I completed my undergraduate studies at the University of Athens Department of English Language and Literature, where I was awarded an undergraduate qualification (ptychion). This is a four-year academic qualification roughly equivalent to a BA, which also doubles as a teaching qualification. During my studies in Athens, I majored in Language and Linguistics, attaining a grade of 7.64 out of 10.
Featured image: The Whitworth Building, by Mike Peel | CC BY-SA