Roles in the academic community
- I served as editor for Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching (2018-2019).
- I am a member of the editorial board of Journal of English as an International Language and Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purposes.
Peer review for academic journals
I have provided peer review services for multiple academic journals, including the following:
- Arbeiten aus Anglistik und Amerikanistik (AAA);
- Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics;
- Journal of Applied Language Studies (Apples);
- Educational Action Research;
- English Language Overseas Perspectives & Enquiries (ELOPE);
- Innovations in Language Learning and Teaching;
- International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism;
- International Journal of Multilingualism;
- International Review of Applied Linguistics;
- Journal of Psycholinguistic Research;
- Language, Interaction, and Acquisition;
- Teaching and Teacher Education;
- TESOL Journal;
- TESOL Quarterly;
- Theory and Practice of SLA;
- The Modern Language Journal.
See also my Publons profile, for a detailed list of reviewing activity.
Peer review for academic monographs & edited volumes
- Orange, V. (2019). Supercomplexity in Interaction. Basingstoke: PalgraveMacmillan.
- Selected chapters in Kayi-Aydar, H. et al. (eds) (2019). Theorizing and Analyzing Language Teacher Agency. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Gkonou, C. & Mercer, S. (2017). Understanding Emotional and Social Intelligence among English Language Teachers. London: British Council.
- Selected chapters in Ahmadian, M. J. & García Mayo M. P. (eds) (2015). Recent Perspectives on Task-based Language Learning and Teaching. Amsterdam: De Gruyter Mouton.
Peer review for funding agencies
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships;
- Ernst Mach Stipendien.
Peer review for conferences
- I coordinated peer review for Language Education Across Borders international conference (Graz, 2017).
- I provided peer review for the 2017 Annual conference of the British Association of Applied Linguistics and TESOL 2020.
Departmental roles & service
University of Thessaly
- I sit at the International Education Programmes & Erasmus+ committee.
- I served in the organising committee of the Ideologies, Language Communication and Education conference (November 2019).
University of Graz
In this post, I was responsible for multiple ad hoc administrative duties, including the following:
- organising the Language Education Across Borders international conference (December 2016-December 2017);
- assistance in the preparation of the five-year review of the ELT Research and Methodology section (January – February 2017);
- assistance in promoting the online visibility of the International Association for the Psychology of Language Learning (e.g., website design, content creation) (December 2015 – May 2017).
University of Manchester
I was a co-organiser of the Manchester Roundtable on Complexity and English Language Education (April 2015).
University of Ioannina 2nd Model-Experimental School
In this post, I was responsible for the development of the following policies:
Outreach to the professional community & knowledge transfer
- I organised a series of webinars for professional development of language teachers, which can be accessed from the University of Graz podcast portal.
- I provide external peer review for professional journals, including: Aspects Today, the journal of the Panhellenic [i.e. Greek National] Association of State School Teachers of English (ΠΕΚΑΔΕ).
Featured Image Credit: Inside view of the Administration Building, U. of Notre Dame, by Dan Dzurisin | CC BY-NC-ND