Teaching assignments (University of Graz)
Introduction to Communicative Language Teaching
This is an introductory course for future language educators, enrolled in the ongoing teacher preparation BA programme. The course, which is officially designated a ‘pre-seminar’ (Proseminar), consists of 13 weekly two-hour sessions, and aims to provide students with an overview of current teaching methods. Individual sessions focus on topics such as teacher roles, learner characteristics, the four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and assessment. Further information can be found in the course syllabus.
Introduction to Foreign Language Didactics
This (currently discontinued) course was the first of several didactics modules that trainee teachers were expected to take in their studies at the University of Graz. It consisted of 13 lectures with a practical component (Vorlesung mit Übung), which aimed to acquaint participants with aspects of language pedagogy, and to help them reflect on them using structured tasks. Some of the themes that were discussed include communicative language teaching, learning autonomy, the four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and testing.
Applied Linguistics for Language Teachers
This course consists of 13 lectures with a practical component (Vorlesung mit Übung), which introduce participants to salient themes in Applied Linguistics which are relevant to their teaching practice. Topics include the relevance of theory to practice, the role of English as a product of and vehicle for globalisation, second language acquisition, aspects of language learning psychology (e.g., motivation) and more. (more… )
Teaching assignments in previous posts
In the past, I have also been involved in other teaching activity, at the Epirus Instutute of Technology in Greece and the University of Manchester in the UK. Some information about these courses is listed below.
- AFL 7020 Language Teacher Education: an Initial Teacher Education course on teaching foreign languages, delivered to senior undergraduates at the Epirus Institute of Technology (more…)
Other courses taught
- AFL 1010 English as a Primary Foreign Language (I): an introductory Business English tutorial, delivered to first-year undergraduates at the Epirus Institute of Technology (more…)
- AFL 5010 English as a Primary Foreign Language (V): a tutorial focusing on English as an institutional and administrative language in the European Union, delivered to third-year undergraduates at the Epirus Institute of Technology (more…)
- MA dissertations at The University of Manchester (TESOL)
- Undergraduate theses at the Epirus Institute of Technology (focus on Language Teaching)