Update July 2018
This is a post advertising an academic event that tool place in 2014. The content and links are not current any longer, but are retained here for archival purposes. If you’d like to receive updates on upcoming academic conferences, you may want to subscribe to this blog by clicking on the ‘Follow’ button.
Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines 2014
Budapest, 1-3 September 2014
The 5th conference on Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines (CADAAD 2014) will be held by Loránd Eötvös University in Budapest on 1-3 September 2014. The event aims to highlight cross-disciplinary research in critical discourse studies. In the words of the conference organisers, papers are welcome “which , from a critical-analytical perspective, deal with contemporary social, scientific, political, economic, or professional discourses and genres”.
- Prof. Ruth WODAK (Lancaster University)
- Prof. Theo VAN LEEUWEN (University of Technology Sydney)
- Prof. Lilie CHOULIARAKI (London School of Economics)
- Prof. Andreas MUSOLFF (University of East Anglia)
- Prof. Crispin THURLOW (University of Washington)
Call for Papers
Contributions are invited for papers (20 minutes, plus 10-minute discussion) on the conference theme, and especially those that call for the re-examination of existing theoretical frameworks and/or showcase new methodological approaches. Papers on the following topics are especially encouraged:
- Discourses of inequality, discrimination and othering
- Global economic discourses and discourses of the financial crisis
- Discourses of political protest and civil (dis)order
- Neoliberalism and the new divides
- Anti-EU discourses
A non-exhaustive list of other topics that are welcome includes:
- (New) Media discourse
- Party political discourse
- Discourses of war and terrorism
- Power, ideology and dominance in institutional discourse
- Identity in discourse
- Education discourses
- Environmental discourses
- Health communication
- Business communication
- Language and the law
Abstracts (250-350 words excluding references) should be submitted as MS Word attachments to
email@example.com before 1 December 2013. The email should include the author’s name, affiliation and email address, but this information should not be included in the abstract.
A thematically constrained volume will be published containing selected papers. Other papers will appear in a proceedings issue of the CADAAD journal.
Panel proposals are also welcome.
- Submission deadline: 1st December 2013
- Notification of acceptance: 1st March 2014
- Early bird registration deadline: 1st April 2014
- Standard registration deadline: 1st June 2014
- Conference: 1st – 3rd September 2014
The fee in brackets refers to early-bird registration (by 1 April 2014)
- Standard: 215 EUR (165 EUR)
- Discounted: 170 EUR (130 EUR)
The discounted fee applies to postgraduates and delegates from low-GDP countries. A small number of bursaries may be available for delegates who come from disadvantaged circumstances. Optional surcharges are in place for lunch (8 EUR/day) and the conference dinner party (30 EUR).
Additional details about the conference can be found at the conference webpage (link no longer active) or by contacting the organising committee (