Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines 2014
Budapest, 1-3 September 2014
The 5th conference on Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines (CADAAD 2014) will be held by Loránd Eötvös University in Budapest on 1-3 September 2014. The event aims to highlight cross-disciplinary research in critical discourse studies. In the words of the conference organisers, papers are welcome “which , from a critical-analytical perspective, deal with contemporary social, scientific, political, economic, or professional discourses and genres”.
- Prof Ruth WODAK (Lancaster University)
- Prof Theo VAN LEEUWEN (University of Technology Sydney)
- Prof Lilie CHOULIARAKI (London School of Economics)
- Prof Andreas MUSOLFF (University of East Anglia)
- Prof Crispin THURLOW (University of Washington)
Call for papers
Contributions are invited for papers (20 minutes, plus 10-minute discussion) on the conference theme, and especially those that call for the re-examination of existing theoretical frameworks and/or showcase new methodological approaches. Papers on the following topics are especially encouraged:
- Discourses of inequality, discrimination and othering
- Global economic discourses and discourses of the financial crisis
- Discourses of political protest and civil (dis)order
- Neoliberalism and the new divides
- Anti-EU discourses
A non-exhaustive list of other topics that are welcome includes:
- (New) Media discourse
- Party political discourse
- Discourses of war and terrorism
- Power, ideology and dominance in institutional discourse
- Identity in discourse
- Education discourses
- Environmental discourses
- Health communication
- Business communication
- Language and the law
Abstracts (250-350 words excluding references) should be submitted as MS Word attachments to email@example.com before 1 December 2013. The email should include the author’s name, affiliation and email address, but this information should not be included in the abstract.
A thematically constrained volume will be published containing selected papers. Other papers will appear in a proceedings issue of the CADAAD journal.
Panel proposals are also welcome (further details).
||1 December 2013|
||1 March, 2014|
||1 April, 2014|
||1 June, 2014|
||1-3 September, 2014|
The fee in brackets refers to early-bird registration (by 1 April 2014)
- Standard: 215 EUR (165 EUR)
- Discounted: 170 EUR (130 EUR)
The discounted fee applies to postgraduates and delegates from low-GDP countries. A small number of bursaries may be available for delegate who come from disadvantaged circumstances. Optional surcharges are in place for lunch (8 EUR/day) and the conference dinner party (30 EUR).